Medical Device Initiative
The medical devices industry is one of the state’s most valuable economic assets. The industry generates billions of dollars in economic output annually, greatly due to its extensive supply chain and successful manufacturing operations.
One-third of the $32 billion global orthopedic industry is headquartered in nearby Warsaw. Northeast Indiana was ranked the fourth-highest state in venture capital percentage gains from 1999 to 2004. See the Medical Device Corridor that runs through Whitley County!
Whitley County and the northeast region provide employees with access to numerous training programs to enhance skill sets and continue company competition in the global marketplace.
- Indiana Tech offers an undergraduate degree in biomedical engineering.
- Trine University offers a graduate degree in engineering with a major in biomedical engineering.
- Purdue University offers a graduate certificate program called Biomedship (biomedical innovation and entrepreneurship) and offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in biomedical engineering.
- The University of Notre Dame has a graduate program in integrated biomedical sciences and offers a graduate degree in bioengineering.
- Ivy Tech Community College in Warsaw has an orthopedic and advanced manufacturing training center
Source: Northeast Indiana Regional Partnership, EMSI 2015.2 Class of Worker
- AJ Machine, Inc. – Automated machining shop, gages and fixtures
- Blue M Medical – Custom medical devices and instruments
- C&A Tool Engineering (2 locations) – Contract machining and fine tooling
- DOT America, Inc. – Specialty coatings and surface treatments for medical implants and instruments
- Engineering Services – Plastic injection molding & prototype tooling
- EtaVonni Engineering, LLC – Design services for the medical device industry
- Fort Wayne Metals – Advanced Materials Development– Bone screws, pins, rods, wire, etc.
- Impact CNC, LLC – CNC production, CNC production machining, casting machining and forging machining (primarily automotive)
- Iotron Industries USA – Electron beam medical sterilization
- Kilgore Manufacturing Co. – Precision CNC machining, design and build custom machinery
- Kyocera SGS Specialty Group – Medical cutting tools
- Micropulse – Orthopedic surgical instruments, implants & sterilization cases & trays
- Nanovis – Implant products such as plates, screws, scaffolds
- Numerix – Precision CNC machining specializes in manufacturing components and subassemblies for medical device industry
- Pro Systems – Automated machines & systems, including plastic insert molding systems, molding machine rebuilds & retrofits
- Qualitex – Custom gages and fixtures, CNC machining, grinding, laser etching
- Quality Inspection & Gage – Fixtures and gages, engineering and design services
- Red Star Contract Manufacturing – Specializes in insert injection molding for medical device industry
- Restoration Medical Polymers – Product and process development and manufacturer of medical grade polymers
- Sites Medical – Specialty testing, prototyping, specialty manufacturing and quality & regulatory services
- Wright Medical – Global medical device company focused on Extremities and Biologics
Occupation and Average Wage
- Architectural and Engineering Managers - $101,200
- Materials Engineer - $65,774
- Mechanical Engineers - $64,228
- Industrial Engineers - $63,966
- Computer Systems Analysts - $60,035
- Tool and Die Makers - $42,700
- Welders, cutters, solderers and brazers - $37,651
- Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators, Metal and Plastic - $31,049
- Computer Support Specialists - $30,999